Sunday, June 18, 2017

Why people are confused about feminism

I almost spit out my morning coffee Tuesday morning when I saw Amber Rose's pic. You know the one- where she was all greased up, laying on some stairs with her "lady hot pocket" on display. If you haven't seen it, you can ask my girl Google, she has plenty of versions for your viewing. Be careful though, it is NSFW (not safe for work.) Then of course, in true internet fashion, Instagram models from across the globe had to create/partake in the Amber Rose challenge by taking plants, leaves and faux furs and placing them strategically to resemble a hairy hot pocket. I got a lot of facial exercise that day as my eyebrows danced and my lips twisted in mere confusion.



I had questions. Ok, so why is she doing this? Why would anybody do this? I figured she was just trying to break the internet like Kim K was when she had that very unflattering greased up picture of her behind balancing a glass. But, when I read somewhere that she was doing this as a feminist and to empower women, I was even more confused because when I saw her nakedness, I did not think feminist. 

Now the Merriem-Webster dictionary defines feminism as the "theory of the political, economic and social equality of the sexes". Over the years, it has also been tied to the belief that government should not be able to tell a woman what to do with her body in regards to abortion rights and it is loosely responsible for the term "body shaming". Because of this term, it is finally unacceptable to judge a woman based on the shape of her body.

While I believe and totally support equal pay, equal rights and the right for a woman to choose what's medically best for her, I'm still not sure if I can wear the feminist lapel pin. I still believe in chivalry and that men should hold open doors and give up seats to women in gentlemanly fashion. And if I see another woman propose to a man, I will continue to roll my eyes in protest. Those things alone may take me off the list. So if I, a woman who writes about women and has a business that supports women is confused at what is truly means to be a feminist, I can see why people may confuse her efforts as a feminist movement.

I can't knock her hustle though. Amber Rose went  from stripper to video vixen, to a rappers girlfriend, to another rapper's ex-wife, turned entrepreneur and talk show host. I mean, the girl made a come up and I'm not mad at that. She coined the term "slut shaming" and started an annual Slut Walk to fight against it. Her supporters would say that they feel empowered by walking the streets of LA, scantily clothed as a group, letting people know that just because they are strippers or dress provocatively, they should not be treated with disrespect. I'm not mad with that either. But, lets just call it what it is. And let's all just admit that the  hashtag bring back the bush picture (her words, not mine) was just used for shock value and to create buzz about the next Slut Walk.

So here's more questions. Other than to demote slut shaming, what is the purpose of the Slut Walk? Is money raised to support other feminist movements or groups? Did they wear "I'm With Her" shirts to support our female candidate last year? Did they walk in their stilettos and fishnets down to local government offices and demand equal pay for women? Did any of the funds go toward Planned Parenthood? Unfortunately, because the way my life is set up I don't have the time or follow-thru to put my investigative journalism hat on to answer these questions, but I am going to say that there is a good chance that the answer to these questions is "no." So if that's the case, can we really call this a feminist movement?

Again, I support any woman who wants to put an end to body shamming and wants women to be proud and confident in themselves. But, in this world of over sharing I don't think that showing your naked body is the way to go. There are so many ways to be tasteful on these here internets and to promote positive body image. That wasn't it. Katie Hopkins, who is a writer for DailyMail.com said it best when she advised Amber Rose by saying, "Command attention with your clothes on. Save your naked skin for eyes you can look into." If that ain't a message that all young women need to hear, I don't know what is.

While Amber Rose's self confidence and positive body image leaves nothing for the imagination, for me she does not represent a symbol of empowerment. What are your thoughts? Did she go too far, or do I have it all wrong?

Wishing you Love, Peace and Soul Deep Beauty,
Rhonda

No comments:

Post a Comment