Wednesday, May 31, 2017

What is your problem with my natural hair?

I have been natural since 2005, and have been wearing my natural texture "full time" since 2010. And even though I have had much success and favor when it comes to my style and how my hair fits me, I did run into some backlash every now and then from people who did not understand why I would wear my hair like this. 

 

In the early stages of my natural hair journey, I offered no explanation because my mouth wasn't fully saved yet and I didn't have words that would not offend peoples ignorance. But, in recent years I have learned how to explain that I feel relaxing my hair is not necessary. Up until 2005, I only relaxed my front edges and the nape of my neck, better known as "the kitchen" twice a year. And up until 2010, I would wear what is now known as a twist out via flat twisting my hair between that hard press my beautician would lay. I also found, through getting my esthetician license, the purpose and effectiveness of product absorption thru the hair folicles and I know that relaxers are not something I want absorbed into my body. 

I also decided that I was done fighting with my hair and I was going to let it do what it do without me having to press and flat iron every two weeks. That's not to say that I just get up and go. True naturalistas know that this natural hair thing is not for the weak at heart. There is also a misconception that natural hair is unkept or dirty, but I promise you, any natural you know washes her hair on the regular and is trying every twist out and updo she sees. Our hands are in our heads manipulating our hair daily, unless in a protective style.

So when I hear about my natural hair sisters being harassed at school or on their jobs, it upsets me. For a black female to be told she can't wear her hair the way it naturally grows out of her head is ridiculous. I've heard of this hair hate during slavery, when they were forced to wear head scarves to discourage them from wearing braids from their culture, or to make them feel inferior because their hair was thick and wooly. But, this is 2017. Why does my hair still threaten you?

When little black girls are told that the way the hair grows out of their heads is wrong, or a distraction, I have an issue with that. When a grown black woman is told that her natural hair is not professional, I have an issue with that. When any textured hair individual is ridiculed by their own people of color, it's a problem and it shows how deeply rooted hair hate is. But, when today's melanin challenged celebrities wear these same hair styles, it's trendy. The issues I have with this are many.

Luckily, when it comes to the acceptance of natural hair, there are others who feel the same way and they have decided to take a stand on this ignorant, failed undercover attempt at hair hate. 

•Last year a natural hair ban was lifted at a Kentucky school after parents and students protested against it.
•A school in Florida had to re-write their dress code after parents became outraged by the ban on "dread like hair", which exposed a straight A, sixteen year old student with course hair.
•Parents were also outraged when two sisters were banned from prom and given detention daily for refusing to remove their braids at a Massachusetts high school. According to reports, they marched all black students down to the office daily for hair checks, where students were asked if the braids they wore were their real hair or extensions.  Which begs the question, if you can't tell, why does it matter. 
That school was ordered by the Anti-Defemation League and the state's Attorney General to stop the harassment of these black and mixed race kids.

With it now being legal for employers to discriminate against dread loc'ed individuals, the fight for natural hair in the workplace is becoming more frequent. If you are having issues with rocking your natural at work, there is a resource for you.  This book written by LA attorney, Tracy Sanders titled, "Natural Hair in the Workplace: What Are Your Rights?" I haven't ordere it yet, but I plan on it as you can tell by my saved Amazon picture.
 
For decades society has constantly tried to tell us that our natural hair wasn't pretty. That we needed to cover it up, wear a wig, weave it up, relax it, press it, anything but wear it the way it grows out of our heads. When women started wearing fros in the 60's, they were seen as rebels and trouble makers. That's why several years ago when the natural hair community started growing at expenetal rates, the movement couldn't be stopped. Natural women across the globe started telling their friends, family, boyfriends, bosses and society to go have a stadium full of seats if they had something to say about their hair. 

Now don't get it twisted, I believe in the change up and I love me a cute wig or Yonce' weave every now and then. But, when I just want to be me in all my natural, happy I'm nappy glory, I don't want to be ridiculed for loving my hair the way that it grows. Be free queen. 

That's my two cents. What's yours?

Wishing you Love, Peace and Soul Deep Beauty,
Rhonda 

No comments:

Post a Comment